Sunday, August 21, 2011

Post Surgery


Once again, I’m overcome with appreciation for the love and attention you’ve given me. I can’t put into words the way I’ve felt since Tuesday morning. If you’ve ever personally experienced a sense that God was near you, that’s the feeling I’ve had all week. Much of the time it’s been delivered through the voices, hands and just smiles of others; some strangers; some not.
If you have reached out to me in anyway, know that it has been like an important brick in the building of a foundation. It’s the foundation from which I’m growing stronger, healing and preparing for what’s next in my life. I’ve not yet responded to all, but know that I heard or felt you and it made a difference.
I was in surgery for about 2 hours. The OR was full of people. They were all laughing, joking the way people do when they are enjoying themselves. The last thing I remember was Dr. Levine telling the origins of “slipping a Mickey.” He’s originally from Chicago. Someone had joked that they were going to “slip me a Mickey now.”
I started it prior to going in by making them all promise not to take a kidney or anything for the black market. I needed levity as I signed and resigned forms and even my own body leading up to the event.
Since we all learned during the “health care debate” two years ago that many doctors take extra organs or perform unnecessary surgeries to fraud insurance, the hospital has a policy now that both patient and doctor sign with a pen all incision sites.
Yes, I have Dr. Ed Levine’s initials on my breast now. There are no extra incisions.
The other miraculous thing is that in spite of having three incisions, I’ve had zero pain. There’s certainly discomfort but no pain. I’ve been able to get up, dress, walk and do all necessary things.
Next week holds further pathology results and my first visit with “the best” oncologist. During surgery Levine removed the tumor and six lymph nodes. I’m told all went well and that losing only six lymph nodes is a good sign. 
Please keep sending me your good thoughts and lifting up those prayers. I’ve only crossed the first mountain. There are more ahead.
For those who wondered, the book was called Healing Wellness by Kenneth and Gloria Copeland. I continue to read and recite key verses each day such as Psalm 103: 1 -5, Isaiah 53: 4 -5, Jeremiah 30:17, Romans 8:13, James 4: 7 – 10, John 10:10. We all have some place that needs healing. I encourage you to find out for yourself how eager the Lord is to heal you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment